Tuesday, October 6, 2009

This is St. Raphael's near Koloa, Kauai. The old rectory was still standing on the grounds of the modern church. There are plants growing out of the walls. In time, the jungle will consume it. It is a very peaceful, captivating place. I like the strong shadows from the sun overhead and the sense tht by going through doorways, one can step through time.
Watercolor on Arches, 21" x 29"

The Kilauea lighthouse on Kauai stands 52 feet tall and was constructed in 1913. The lens is the largest of its type ever made-I believe it was crafted in France. It is located at the northernmost tip of the Hawaiian Islands. It's beam once reached 90 miles out to sea.
Lighthouses are a popular subject for painters. To avoid 'just another lighthouse', I got down on my knees in front of it and captured photographs that had a totally different perspective. I often paint from my digital photos. I found this image to be strong and protective.
Watercolor on Arches 18" x 29"

2 comments: